Friday, June 12, 2009

D-TV Day


Today is the day that television stations must stop broadcasting an analog signal and broadcast a digital. A few months ago, Himself hooked up a digital converter box for the Weebles. There were several panic calls about blue screens and several lessons on using both remote controls, one for the television and the other for the converter box. Phone calls stopped and we thought all was well and found that Dad had brought another portable television from the attic to the living room.


The other day, I reminded Dad the spare TV would no longer work on 12. June. I turned to the television with the converter box to see if it would work.


"Where are the remotes?"


He handed me the remote to the television.


"Where's the remote for the converter box?"


"I don't know," he shrugged.


I pushed the power button on the television remote. The screen came to life in a blaze of static and looked like the VHS player was on. I set the remote to chanel 03 and a nice clear picture came through.


"You have to keep the television remote set to channel 3."


"But I want to watch channel 4"


"Right. Keep this," and I waved the remote, "on channel 3. You can change the channel you want by using the up and down arrows on the converter box." I pushed the arrows and the television screen flickered through a few channels."


"Just put it on channel 4. That's all I watch."


I set the channel on the converter to channel 4 and turned the power off on the television remote. Himself had told Dad not to turn the power off on the converter box and the power light was happily gleaming a bright cobalt blue.


So, Dad's ready for the digital television transition, well his television is. I wonder how many hours will pass before we get the dreaded "the screen is blue" call.


Any bets?

1 comment:

Erica Vetsch said...

No bet.

I haven't heard anything from my weebles, but then again, I'm Switzerland...and unavail. at the moment. :)

Yode-lay-heee-hooooo